Streetopia is an annual free one-day street festival held in Observatory, Cape Town happening this year on the 25th of November. Streetopia is a community-run event sparked by AfrikaBurn and created in conjunction with local artists, businesses and the Observatory Improvement District (OBSID). It has been a City of Cape Town Special Event since 2016.
One aim of the Streetopia event is to leave a legacy in the area of the event that improves the urban space, creates a safer street culture and positive change. Thanks to the financial support of the City of Cape Town and the National Arts Council, we have a bigger canvas to dream up and create this year.
We are calling for temporary public artworks in Observatory, to be unveiled at the Streetopia event.
This is where you, as a talented and inspirational artist, come in …
Are you interested in creating something new and unique for Streetopia?
Interested in applying for funding? Please fill out the Artwork Registration form: https://forms.gle/Bryxek8ooApYVzPw6
There are a number of art grants available for temporary art installations, the application window for funding proposal submission is: 27 July to 21 August 2023.
The grant assessment process will be completed by 30 August and successful applicants will be informed by 1 September.
Artists will be required to create their work from September through to November in time for the Streetopia event on 25 November.
Though works of all sizes and nature are invited to participate, we are asking for feasible proposals for temporary art installations that can be created and executed between September and December.
Note that preference will be given to artwork proposals that
- Promote street safety
- Are Observatory Heritage related
- Local (Obs community/AfrikaBurn network)
- Community participative
- Committed to future events (Streetopia 2024)
- Lighting installation art
- Collaborative projects
- Are secured to be left in a public space
- Have interactive elements
- Be based in Cape Town
- Have a South African Bank account
- Be able to provide detailed budgets and receipts
You must start your funding application by first registering your artwork, once submitted, our funding team will be in touch with you to discuss further.
For more information about applying, please contact [email protected]
- We will not be considering any murals for this years’ Streetopia. Applications for murals will not be reviewed.
- If you have an existing artwork or don’t need a grant, you’re also invited to register and bring your piece to Streetopia.
- Performance artists are also welcome to apply
- Fine artists are invited to submit works for exhibition
- Have you built something already but need help getting it to Streetopia? You can also apply for logistics funding