“Come in, Come in” … This is a call out to anyone who might be keen to join the AfrikaBurn team in a supporting role for our communications portfolio. “Do you copy?” If you are a tech-savvy, social media and communications fundi, then this might just be the job for you…
AfrikaBurn is the strategic driver of Burning Man culture in the Southern African region and plays a significant role in the arts and culture sector of South Africa. Most known for its flagship event in the Tankwa Karoo, as a public benefit organisation, AfrikaBurn is the human scaffold that helps a diverse creative community propel numerous arts and development projects.
We are looking for someone to support the AfrikaBurn comms team on a part-time basis, keeping their ears, eyes, fingers, knees and toes on all the AfrikaBurn comms channels and assist with an array of different comms functions in the build-up to our annual event:
● Monitor all AfrikaBurn-owned communication channels
● Respond to participant queries with appropriate information or referral to other departments/teams who can answer questions
● Assist in updating AfrikaBurn website content
● Assist in uploading blogs and news articles to the AfrikaBurn website
● Assist in developing the 2023 event content strategy
● Assist other departments to develop their comms
● Help to keep Quaggapedia updated
● Comms content creation (as per the agreed strategy)
● Share content online (via Hootsuite)
● Help develop new AfrikaBurn channels (TikTok etc.)
● Support for the Baardskeerder newsletter
● Be the most excellent person online in a world of internet trolls
● Proficient with Google Suite/ Google Apps specifically Calendar, Docs, Sheets, Forms, (or Microsoft Office – including Excel, Word, Powerpoint )
● Flexible working hours
● Internet access
● Able to communicate across many channels – Slack, What’sApp, email
● Bonus points for any additional communications and/or digital and social media qualifications.
Traits (we value these highly):
● Collaborative and enthusiastic to work with others
● Good communicator
● Proactive about problem-solving and creating solutions
● Attention to detail – methodical, efficient, and meticulous
● Dynamic and able to work in a changing environment
● Conscientious; a strong sense of duty and personal responsibility
● Working within the AB ethos and toward the 11 guiding principles
● Ideally living in Cape Town or near to Salt River
● Passion for social media and digital communications
● Excellent English writing skills
● Knowledge of how digital and social media works
● Quick thinking, able to respond quickly to challenges
● Passion and deep knowledge of AfrikaBurn and its culture
● A good eye for spellnig mistakes, photography, illustration and design
This is a paid contract role on a part time basis, with a focus on deliverables in the months preceding the event (end April 2023). If you are interested in applying or want to know more, please apply to [email protected] with a subject title: Communications Support, along with a CV and a short letter of motivation.
“Over and out” Closing Date: 2 Dec
Hi there! I know the closing date is for 2 December but have just come across this and wondering if the position has been filled?
Hi Samantha – yes the position has been filled. Keep tight though, if you wanna work here, or do something cool with us, the time will come and the stars will align.